Field Experiment Station (former) – Meridian MS

Description

The station was begun in the 1931 as a fruit and vegetable research station. From 1933-1935, the site was expanded and new buildings constructed. The buildings were built by Public Works Administration from 1933 to 1935 with an allotment of $96,350. Funds were provided by Public Works under the National Industrial Recovery Act. The purpose of the allotment was fruit and vegetable disease research and auxiliary buildings devoted to sugar cane research. The Administration Office and Laboratory were built in 1933. After a new two-story brick and stucco administration building and laboratory was constructed 1935, the first administration office was used only as a laboratory. It was a wooden structure now covered with corrugated metal panels. The greenhouse, ca. 1934, is brick and glass on a concrete slab, with the back two-thirds of the building brick with metal framing and glass in the Bungalow/Craftsman style. Also included in the buildings were a caretakers home, project supervisor home, pump house, garage, storage building, and muscadine grape arbor trellis. The pump house and well were built in the late 1930s to replace a metal pump house and water tower constructed in 1933. The buildings are still extant, but use of the site is unknown. The station was closed in 1983.

Source notes

Mississippi Department of Archives & History. Historic Resources Inventory 075-MER-5001-NR. Retrieved September 25, 2021 from:
https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/rpt.aspx?rpt=publicPropSearch&Name=&StreetNo=&StreetName=&City=Meridian&County=Any

Rush, F. K. (Dec. 30, 1989). Nomination Form for the National Register of Historic Places. United States Department of the Interior. National Park Service.

Meridian Station is Given $90,000. (Jan. 19, 1934). Clarion-Ledger, p. 7.
Mississippi Share of PWA Program Officially is Set at $23,000,000 by Ickes. (May 6, 1934). Clarion-Ledger, p. 8.

Mississippi is Awarded 11 Million Dollars on Public Works Projects. (Aug. 13, 1934). Clarion-Ledger, p. 10.

Gulfport Pier-Warehouses Receive Largest Allotment. (Aug. 13, 1934). The Daily Herald (Biloxi), p. 1.

Agricultural Department Appropriation Bill for 1936. (January, 1935). United States. Congress. House Appropriations. Washington: U. S. Government Printing Office, p. 350-351. Retrieved September 25, 2021 from Google Play ebooks: https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=MqDvrRDpblkC&rdid=book-MqDvrRDpblkC&rdot=1

Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on September 26, 2021.

We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.

SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE

Location Info


Peavey Drive and Old Marion-Russell Road
Meridian, Mississippi 39301

Coordinates: 32.411913, -88.621243

Leave a Reply

Before leaving a comment, please note:

  • Comments allow viewers to share information with others or alert us to errors or changes in a New Deal site.
  • We are not involved in the management of New Deal sites and have no information about visits, hours or rentals.
  • This page shows all the information we have for this site; if you have new information or photos to share, click below.

SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE

We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.