Grand Island Federal Building, Front Elevation Detail
The Federal Building in Grand Island, NE underwent an extension during the early era of the New Deal.
“Supervising Architect of the Treasury James Knox Taylor designed the new post office and federal building in Grand Island, authorizing the final architectural plans in 1908. Workers completed the building, which officially opened on November 26, 1910, at a cost of $108,000. By this time, Grand Island was the third largest city in Nebraska and its economy was thriving.
Postal facilities occupied the first floor of the new building, while the second floor held a two-story district courtroom and associated court offices. As its population increased, Grand Island required expanded postal services and additional federal office space. In 1933, local architect Charles W. Steinbaugh designed an addition to the building, which opened in 1935. Two years later, the post office began housing the headquarters for Grand Island’s Works Progress Administration (WPA) district office, a function that it served until 1939.” (www.gsa.gov)
The building houses federal offices, though it no longer houses postal operations.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on December 7, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE