Fairmount Golf Course clubhouse
Other small improvements were made by the WPA in Riverside in the area of culture and recreation. The zoo and tennis courts which had been built at Fairmount Park by the Emergency Relief Appropriations (ERA) in 1933 were supplemented in 1938 by the WPA’s construction of a Masonry Club House and a pistol range,
both of which were to be available for public use.
The zoo was removed in the 1950s. It is not known whether the current tennis courts are at the original site or relocated. The status of the Masonry club house is not known nor the pistol range.
Journal of the Riverside Historical Society, Number Three, February 1999, (https://e8d8ddb1-45a0-481b-bdfe-db62fad24c3f.filesusr.com/ugd/6eb138_dec0b9a7c01f414fa96c89dd558763b1.pdf), accessed March 2020.
Project originally submitted by Douglass Halvorsen on March 14, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE