Portland’s “Evergreen Cemetery” was improved by the WPA:
“In 1936, the Public Works and Park Departments received $86,875 in WPA funds for engineering, supervision, a portion of the wages of skilled labor, equipment hire, and some materials. The Park Department used workers for grading and improvements at athletic fields, the golf course, and the city cemetery, and for pruning and spraying of trees along city streets.” (Conforti)
The 140-acre (57 ha) historical portion of the cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.
Creating Portland: History and Place in Northern New England by Joseph A. Conforti Wikipedia - Evergreen Cemetery
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on June 23, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE