The Washington Post, October 11, 1933, reported on Public Works Administration (PWA) disbursements for federal buildings in the District: “Five Government buildings will get new window fixtures here at a cost of $77,324. The departments sharing in this grant are Post Office, Interstate Commerce, Labor, Justice and the auditorium which connects the Interstate Commerce Commission and the Labor Buildings. The work is expected to provide 150 men with jobs for three months.”
The Department of Labor was relocated in 1979 and the Interstate Commerce Commission was dissolved in 1996. The buildings are now part of the the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) complex and the auditorium linking its two wings is known as the Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium.
“U.S. allots District jobs $412,034,” Washington Post, October 11, 1933, p. 15
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on March 10, 2015.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE