Emma Long Municipal Park Lake FrontCCC Company 1805 planted trees and worked on erosion prevention of the lake bank in the park.
In the early 1930s, the City of Austin acquired about 1008 acres of ash and juniper woodland west of the city with a mile of lake front on Lake Austin. In December 1939, Civilian Conservation Corps Company 1805 arrived at the site to develop the tract of land into a municipal park. The company’s primary work included seeding and sodding grass, planting trees, and protecting the bank of the lake from erosion. They also cleared brush, built roads and developed permanent improvements to the site such as a bathhouse and concession stand. These wooden structures later burned and were replaced by stone buildings, which stand today.
The city eventually expanded the park to more than 1100 acres. In 1984, the Austin City Council renamed the park after Emma Long, a former Austin City Council Member. Long was the first woman to serve on the council of a large city in Texas. She also served as the first woman Mayor Pro Tem from 1967-1969.
Emma Long Metropolitan Park http://naturerocksaustin.org/content/forestwilderness/emma-long-metropolitan-park Midkiff, Morris. "CCC Installs Model Camp". Austin Statesman Dec. 5, 1939. CCC Camps Texas http://www.ccclegacy.org/CCC_Camps_Texas.html
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on May 5, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE