1939 PWA dedication plaque at Eltingville Station
The Eltingville station of the Staten Island Railway was redeveloped during the late 1930s, as one link in a large grade crossing removal project sponsored by the Public Works Administration (PWA). Work included construction of a new station house on Richmond Avenue, which is still in use and bears a 1939 PWA dedication plaque.
The New York Times: "$3,000,000 PWA JOB STARTS HERE TODAY: Work of Eliminating 15 Grade Crossings on Staten Island to Take 18 Months," July 13, 1938.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 8, 2018.