Passageway C7, 2009Reproduction Number: HABS NY-6086-P-1
The Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) describes the New Deal’s extensive work on Ellis Island, which included building this and another long covered passageway:
“A system of covered passageways connected the three islands, providing sheltered circulation during inclement weather. Pipes and electrical conduits were also located above the ceiling in these corridors. The one-story brick passageways between Islands 1 and 2 were built with Works Progress Administration (WPA) funding in 1934-35 and are now designated C7. These corridors include a short connection from the east facade of the New Immigration Building (HABS NY-6086-O) and the long section that runs parallel to the Ferry Building between Island 1 and 2. At its north and south ends, the long section terminates at projecting hipped roof pavilions that serve as hyphen connectors to other passageways. These pavilions are remodeled structures originally built in 1901 in conjunction with a wood walkway linking Island 1 and 2. In addition to the rebuilt and expanded brick passageways, the New Immigrant Building, Ferry Building, and Recreation Building were the three New Deal-funded structures at Ellis Island intended to meet the changing scope of immigration services at the facility.”
Ellis Island was made part of the Statue of Liberty National Monument in 1965. The passageway is still standing.
Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Online Catalog, Ellis Island, Passageway C7 C.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown. "Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration." (1939). Historic Ellis Island structure reopening - USA Today
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE