Public Works Administration (PWA) project 1280 provided a grant of $16,411 for construction of a grammar school. Architect E. L. Malvaney designed the 1-story brick school. The Daily Clarion-Ledger reported both the high school and the elementary school were constructed with this grant. The project was approved 8/10/1938, construction started 11/21/1938, and the project was completed 10/28/1939 for a total of $35,074. WPA provided an additional $3,640 for the grammar school to add landscaping, playground equipment, and sidewalks in February 1940.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
Report No. 5, Status of Completed Non-Federal allotted projects. Region No. 3 Mississippi. (January 3, 1940). Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division, p. 106.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory. Retrieved Nov. 9, 2019 from: https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/rpt.aspx?rpt=publicPropSearch&Name=&StreetNo=&StreetName=&City=Ripley&County=Any
PWA aided in Construction of 228 school buildings in state; complete list given. (Sept. 25, 1939). Daily Clarion-Ledger, p. 10.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on November 10, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE