Public Works Administration project 4726 for an elementary school building was approved 3/21/1934 for a $20,000 loan and $8,232 grant. Construction began 6/18/1934 and was completed 5/29/1935. The Colonial Revival style building was designed by Edgar Lucian Malvaney and constructed by Currie and Corley. The former school was listed as a Mississippi Landmark and the Lawrence County Historical Society began work toward restoration and renewed use of the building.
Report No. 5, Status of Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects. (January 3, 1940). Region No. 3, Mississippi. Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division, p. 104.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory 077-MON-0004.2-ML
Retrieved September 21, 2021 from:
PWA Okehs Three School Projects: New Grammar School Building at Monticello
Largest of Allotments. (Mar. 23, 1934). Clarion-Ledger, p. 5.
Nineteen PWA Projects Begun. (May 8, 1934). Clarion-Ledger, p. 7.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on September 21, 2021.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE