El Pueblo"Public buildings: a survey of architecture of projects constructed by federal and other governmental bodies between the years 1933 and 1939 with the assistance of the Public Works Administration," by Short and Stanley-Brown (pg. 303).
A former set of “Spanish-style cottages,” known as El Pueblo, was created for married students at what was then West Texas [State] Teachers College. The project, built in 1936, was enabled by Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds: a $27,400 loan and $11,105 grant.
A 1936 article in the Canyon News newspaper says the cottages were “located on the northeast corner of campus and are situated in a semi-circle.” Satellite imagery shows that the houses were located between Russell Long Blvd. and 2nd Ave.; and east of 26th St.
Local sources (see Facebook link under Sources) state that each of the structures was relocated between 1967 and 1991, and that several of the structures are still extant.
Michael Brown writes: “Visually,” there are several cottages still extant that appear “identical with at least six (of the original 10) existing structures. Five of them are now in the 1300 block of 2nd Avenue in Canyon, one is near the community of Wayside.”
Five of the cottages (2 converted to duplexes; one; 2 converted to duplexes) are located between 1305 and 1313 2nd Ave. in Canyon. One cottage is located about 2.3 miles northeast of Wayside, Texas, on Uniform Road, coordinates: 34.821956, -101.525665. Two other cottages relocated in this area, though they are no longer extant. One cottage was moved south of Wirtco, and is no longer extant. Finally, one cottage is now located on private property just east of I-27, on Park Ave. Main north of the Palo Duro RV Park, coordinates: 34.985318, -101.877967.
Short and Stanley-Brown:
“The West Texas Teachers College has adopted this unusual and interesting method of housing its students rather than the customary dormitory. Under conditions of high land values and building costs it would not, as a rule, be possible, but as an exception it has much interest.
Each building provides a living room, kitchen, bathroom, and three bedrooms, and accommodates six students. The rent is $30 per month, or $5 per student if the house is fully occupied.
The foundations are concrete, exterior walls are masonry with a stucco finish, and the balance of the construction is frame.
The 10 units were completed in September 1936 at a construction cost of $36,683 and a project cost of $38,983.”
P.W.A. Docket No. Tex. 9383
"Public buildings: a survey of architecture of projects constructed by federal and other governmental bodies between the years 1933 and 1939 with the assistance of the Public Works Administration," by Short and Stanley-Brown (pg. 303).
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 182.
Canyon News: "El Pueblo Rooms Filling Up Rapidly, Says Supervisor," August 29, 1936.
Michael Brown: Personal knowledge, Facebook group post:
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on February 20, 2018.
Additional contributions by Michael Brown (Mar. 2021).
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE