Although the El Dorado County Fair was first held in 1859, it moved to this location in 1939. The property was purchased by the state of California, and federal funds were used to finance construction on the property:
"The W.P.A. and the New Deal were responsible for the initial construction of permanent facilities at todays fairgrounds. Between the end of the Great Depression and the beginning of World War II, bare ground was transformed into the facility used today. There are plaques on several of the buildings dedicated to the hard-working men and women of the C.C.C. who labored on these projects."
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE