“Edison Courts, is a Miami-Dade 345-unit public housing apartment complex just west of the Little Haiti (Lemon City) neighborhood of Miami, Florida. Edison Courts is bound at the south by North 62nd Street/Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard, at North 67th Street to the north, West Second Avenue to the east, and West Fourth Avenue to the west.
The 345-unit low rent housing project Edison Courts, completed in 1941 and designed by the firm of Paist and Stewart with associate architects Robert Law Weed, Vladimir Virrick and E.L. Robertson, provided public housing for white people. It was similar in scale and design to Liberty Square project, opened in 1937 and designed by the same firm. Both projects were integrated in the 1960s. Edison Courts has maintained most of its historic ambience …”
Sometimes mis-attributed to the Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.), this was a Public Works Administration (P.W.A.)-sponsored project.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE