Eddy County Courthouse, Carlsbad, NM
Sometimes mis-attributed to the Works Progress Administration (WPA), the Public Works Administration provided funding for the expansion of the Eddy County Courthouse and jail in 1939.
Treasures on New Mexico Trails: “Eddy County Courthouse was begun in 1891, with additions in 1914 and 1939. The 1939 addition was done by the WPA [sic] for $185,000.”
Eddy County History:
“Eddy County was named for Charles B. Eddy, a rancher in southeastern New Mexico during the last decades of the 19th century. … The original courthouse built a few years after the creation of the county was a Victorian structure built for $21,000 with a steeple and dark colored brick made locally and additions are similar. When New Deal funds ($185,000) became available in 1939, the architecture of the building was drastically changed to an early Spanish style as it appears today.”
PWA documentation states that the PWA provided a grant of $112,500 for the project, whose total cost was $251,416. Construction occurred between Oct. 1938 and Nov. 1939. PWA Docket No. NM [X]1097.
Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 174.
"Eddy County History," Southeastern New Mexico Economic Development District Council of Governments: http://www.snmedd.org/countyprofiles_EDDY_history.htm
Flynn, Kathryn A., editor. Treasures on New Mexico Trails: discovery of New Deal art and architecture. New Mexico State Historic Preservation Division, 1995. Pg. 38.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 22, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE