"Eddy County was named for Charles B. Eddy, a rancher in southeastern New Mexico during the last decades of the 19th century. He also was the promoter of the Carlsbad Irrigation Project, which turned formerly arid land to fertile farms. Carlsbad, the county seat, is home of the famous Carlsbad Caverns. The Waste Isolation Pilot Project (WIPP) a massive underground facility nearly a half-mile underground in a salt bed provides storage for much of the nations low-level radioactive waste. The county is also the site of large oil deposits (the first strike was at Dayton, NM in 1909) and some of the largest potash deposits in the United States. The original courthouse built a few years after the creation of the county was a Victorian structure built for $21,000 with a steeple and dark colored brick made locally and additions are similar. When New Deal funds ($185,000) became available in 1939, the architecture of the building was drastically changed to an early Spanish style as it appears today."
-Eddy County History
"Eddy County Courthouse was begun in 1891, with additions in 1914 and 1939. The 1939 addition was done by the WPA for $185,000."
-Treasures on New Mexico Trails
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
"Eddy County History," Southeastern New Mexico Economic Development District Council of Governments. <http://www.snmedd.org/countyprofiles_EDDY_history.htm> Flynn, Kathryn A., editor. Treasures on New Mexico Trails: discovery of New Deal art and architecture. New Mexico State Historic Preservation Division, 1995. Pg. 38. "New Deal Sites in New Mexico," Atlas of Historic New Mexico Maps, New Mexico Humanities Council. <http://atlas.nmhum.org/atlas.php?gmap=42> New Mexico Chapter of the National New Deal Preservation Association <http://newdeallegacy.org/State_Sites2/New_Mexico.htm>
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE