Then known as the East Stroudsburg State Teachers College, East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania benefited during the Great Depression from a large construction project enabled by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA). The PWA provided a $202,000 grant for the project, whose final cost was $627,788. Primary construction work occurred between 1938 and 1939. (PWA Docket No. [W]1855.)
Four buildings were constructed on the campus, including a gymnasium, dorm, and dining hall. The buildings are still extant.
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 36.
"Public Works Administration", a Google Fusion Table by LaDale Winling, edited on March 15, 2011.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 29, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE