The facility now known as East Hall was originally constructed as the “Isolation Building” for Florida Industrial School for Girls, a reformatory. It was constructed in 1936 as a New Deal-aided project. The Public Works Administration (PWA) supplied a $27,727 grant for the project, whose total cost was $65,660. (It is possible that the grant enabled other construction on the grounds as well.)
Wikipedia: “East Hall is an historic one-story red brick building located at 307 Southeast 26th Terrace in Ocala, Florida, United States. Designed by architect Frank Parzaile, it was built in 1936 by the Public Works Administration. On July 28, 1995, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.” East Hall presently houses the Marion County Historical Museum, which “features antiques and artifacts of local history.”
PWA Docket No. FL 1159-R
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 91.
State Archives of Florida, Series 450: PWA Work Project Files, Box 1.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 3, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE