Project type: Infrastructure and Utilities, Roads, Bridges, and Tunnels
Site Survival: ExtantView Project in a Separate Window
In 1933-34, the Public Works Administration (PWA) paid for pavement repair and other unspecified improvements to the segment of E Street NW crossing the Elipse, from Fifteenth Street to West Executive Avenue, plus the roadway of East Executive Avenue from E Street to Treasury Place.
PWA funds “provided greater traffic width and an approximate straight line extension of E Street to the west and East Executive Avenue to the south. The very high crowns on E Street and its intersecting roadways were considerably reduced and cement concrete gutters were installed.”
The labor was very likely provided by Civil Works Administration (CWA) or other relief agency workers.
This work was part of a larger set of street improvements approved by the PWA in 1933, to wit: “…paving of Sixteenth street, Constitution Avenue, Michigan Avenue, Columbia Road, Foxhall Road, Good Hope Road, New Hampshire Avenue, Benning Road and Conduit Road, widening of E Street back of the White House and widening of Thirteenth Street” (October 9, 1933). (Post, 1933).
The work is probably still extant, but invisible, under subsequent paving and repairs.
“District leads states in road work speed,” Washington Post, October 9, 1933, p. 13
Report of the Government of the District of Columbia, For the Year Ended June 30, 1934, Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1935, p. 39.
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on January 11, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE