Dyker Beach Golf Course
The Dyker Beach Golf Course first opened in 1897. It was redesigned by Jon Van Kleek in 1935-1936. On May 7, 1936, the Department of Parks announced that the Dyker Beach Golf Course had been “thoroughly reconstructed with new tees and greens throughout…with relief funds provided by the C.W.A., T.E.R.A. and W.P.A.” The renovation project was part of a larger city wide renovation of public golf courses that was funded by New Deal programs.
David Owen, staff writer at The New Yorker, remarks that “Dyker is where Tiger Woods’s father, Earl, learned to play golf, in the early nineteen-seventies. (He was stationed at Fort Hamilton, across the street.).”
Department of Parks, Press Release, May 7, 1936 Dyker Beach Golf Course The New yorker, February 16, 2017: "The Joys of Golf, No Matter the Weather or the President" David Owen
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on October 2, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE