Durant PublicSchool - Durant MS
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the Durant Public School in 1940-42.
N. W. Overstreet and Associates designed the Art Moderne school building and W. E. Rubush of Meridian was the superintendent of construction. The building is 181 feet by 138 feet, with a 2-story central auditorium joining together two single-story wings.
The Durant school system made two applications to the federal government for aid in building a new school. Public Works Administration application x1330 was returned unfunded due to lack of funds. A Works Progress Administration application was submitted in 1940 and approved for project no. 41133 for an allotment of $35,799.
The building originally served as both High School and Elementary School, with a connecting auditorium that seats 600. Today, the building remains in use as the Durant Elementary School.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory #051-DUR-0002.1-x. Retrieved Sept. 16, 2021 from: https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/rpt.aspx?rpt=publicPropSearch&Name=&StreetNo=&StreetName=&City=Durant&County=Any
$5,000,000 PWA projects denied to Mississippi. (Sep 7, 1939). (Jackson) Clarion-Ledger, p. 1.
Durant School project okehed. (Feb. 22, 1940). Daily Clarion-Ledger, p. 2.
Durant to get school building. (Feb 25, 1940). Clarion-Ledger, p. 17.
Construction to begin on school building soon. (Sep 8, 1940). Clarion-Ledger, p. 5.
School work going fine. (Mar. 2, 1941). Clarion-Ledger, p. 5.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on September 23, 2021.
Additional contributions by Charles Swaney.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE