Dupont Lodge hotel lobbyDupont Lodge hotel lobby
Dupont Lodge is a 96 room hotel including lodge rooms and cottages in Cumberland Falls State Park.
Amenities: full service restaurant, 3 meeting spaces, outdoor pool, horseback riding (Memorial Day- Labor Day), camping (April-October), hiking trails, gift shop, planned recreation and home of the Moonbow. The hotel is designed in a rustic style similar to Timberline Lodge at Mt. Hood in Oregon.
Inns and Hotels have been at the location since the 1880’s, In 1890, Indianapolis resident Henry C. Brunson bought the Cumberland Falls Hotel. For the next 30 years he and his family operated the resort, which was known as The Brunson Inn. It was a two-story structure with 40 rooms on each floor and a wide porch. Brunson later sold his holdings to the Cumberland River Power Company for $190,000, which planned to build a dam above the falls and tunnel through the mountain dropping the water below the falls through a turbine in order to generate electricity. In 1927, T. Coleman DuPont offered to purchase the greater area for $400,000 in order to preserve it in its natural state. In 1931, his widow donated the land to the state of Kentucky for use as a public park.
“Cumberland Falls State Park and its camp received considerable publicity, largely because of its recent admission into the park system after being saved from a utilities development plan. In addition to building cabins and roads and trails within the park, CCC enrollees constructed the impressive Dupont Lodge, a rustic hotel with twenty-six rooms and a huge stone fireplace. A camp of “junior” enrollees began work on the two-story lodge, and another camp of veteran recruits completed it in 1934. In the spring of 1940 when a fire destroyed it, park officials estimated its worth at $60,000″ Dupont Lodge was rebuilt the following year. The hotel was rebuilt in 2006.
CCC Companies 509 (SP-1 10/8/1933), 563 (SP-4 6/15/1935), and 1578 (SP-1 7/3/1935) were stationed in the area.
KENTUCKY YOUTH AND THE NEW DEAL by GEORGE T. BLAKEY
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on February 20, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE