Dry Lagoon, Humboldt Lagoons State Park - Trinidad CA
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) prepared Dry Lagoon State Park for public use. The work was carried out between 1933 and 1937 by Company 1903 at Camp Prairie Creek, from where the CCC worked on state parks all along the north coast of California.
The CCC enrollees built a park boundary fence and demolished the remains of the derelict Dry Lagoon Farm (Dry Lagoon had become a meadow and marsh after being drained for farming in the 19th century). They returned the area to a more native landscape by planting rhododendrons, ceanothus and other coastal vegetation and clearing the beach of trash and driftwood. Lastly, they constructed an access road and day-use picnic area. (Engbeck, p. 23)
Two access roads remain, just north and south of Stone Lagoon, and it’s not clear which one was first laid out by the CCC. Most likely, it is the longer road directly into Dry Lagoon, shown in the photographs.
Dry Lagoon State Park is now a unit within Humboldt Lagoons State Park, along with Big Lagoon, Stone Lagoon, and Freshwater Lagoon
Engbeck, Joseph, Jr. 2002. By the People, For the People: The Work of the Civilian Conservation Corps in California State Parks, 1933-1941. Sacramento: California State Parks.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE