Dey Mansion - Wayne, NJ
The Dey Mansion was originally constructed in the mid-18th century and was inhabited by the Dey family until 1801, when it was sold to a private owner. According the Dey Mansion official website, “In 1930, the now defunct Passaic County Park Commission purchased the Dey Mansion, together with several barns and 55 acres of land. A plan of restoration was developed under the direction of Charles OverCornelius who was a former Associate Curator of the Metropolitan Museum of Art and a recognized authority on early American architecture” (passaiccountynj.org). The restoration was undertaken by the Civil Works Administration (CWA), which restored the building to its original appearance, work which included removing stucco from the original brick and installing antique hardware.
National Archives and Records Administration, Records of the Work Projects Administration, Information Service, Primary File, 1936-42, Box 15, Folder 290-A. http://passaiccountynj.org/facilities/facility/details/25, accessed October 30, 2014.
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on October 30, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE