Dexter Park, WPA Stonework
Kagel Canyon is a “populated place” located within the boundaries of Angeles National Forest. In 1934, the Canyon acquired the land for Dexter Park. Between 1936 and 1939, the WPA helped install a water system in the canyon including two wells that served sufficiently until after World War II. By 1937, the WPA had constructed stone and masonry retaining walls and stairways. There is still a WPA plaque in one of the park walls, though some of the buildings were recently destroyed in an earthquake.
Project information submitted by Ansley Davies, Jeffrey Moran. Vradenburg, Ralph. Kagel Canyon History - http://land22.com/documents/Kagel%20Canyon%20History.pdf
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE