In 1935, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed living quarters, roads, fences and a well at the Desert Experimental Range Station in Pine Valley UT. The station was established in 1933 by President Herbert Hoover, who set aside an 87-square-mile area of high desert in the Great Basin. The CCC improvements made the range station functional.
The Desert Experimental Range focuses on cold desert rangeland research. In 1976, it was designated a world biosphere reserve by UNESCO, the only cold desert reserve in the Western Hemisphere. It is administered by the US Forest Service.
Gretchen Baker, Great Basin National Park: A Guide to the Park and Surrounding Area (Logan UT: Utah State University Press, 2012), 265.
Project originally submitted by Richard A Walker on August 30, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE