Department of Purchase warehouse
A money-saving, efficiency-increasing Department of Purchase warehouse in Long Island City was constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). It is still in use by the city, presently by the Board of Education.
The New York Times reported in 1938: The new six-story warehouse “will occupy a plot, 270 by 426 feet, on the northwest corner of Forty-fourth Drive and Vernon Boulevard. It will be built by WPA labor, the city supplying the materials. Its estimated cost is $2,000,000.”
The New York Times: "$50,000 SAVING SEEN IN CITY STORAGE PLANT; $2,000,000 Building to Aid Handling of Supplies," June 23, 1938 (pg. 44)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on April 2, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE