D'Emic Playground, Brooklyn, NY
The New York Times reported in 1941 that, as part of WPA efforts, Brooklyn would receive six new playgrounds, located at: “Third Avenue and Thirty-fourth Street, Second Avenue and Fifty-fifth Street, Fort Hamilton Parkway and Fifty-second Street, Albany and Foster Avenues, Park and Nostrand Avenues and Eastern Parkway Extension and Fulton Street.”
D’Emic Playground [/Park], so named in 1973 after a local community stalwart, is, according to New York City’s Parks Department website, “bordered by 3rd Avenue, 34th and 35th Streets. The City of New York acquired the site in 1940 in connection with acquisition of land for the Gowanus Expressway, and assigned it to Parks that same year.”
“Today, the park features basketball and handball courts, benches, a flagpole with a yardarm, a spray shower, drinking fountain, camel animal art, play equipment with safety surfacing, game tables, and swings for tots. The park remains a tribute to John D’Emic, Sr. for his support of local organizations and his leadership in the community.”
"Central Park Area to Be Improved For Benefit of Harlem Residents"; The New York Times, Sept. 22, 1941 https://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/demicplayground/history
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on April 15, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE