The 1938-39 Art Moderne Project Miss. 1225 is “…a rare surviving example of a university gymnasium from the period before World War II. …maintains its interior and exterior integrity” (MDAH). The gym was expanded with a rear addition of a second gym in 1947, which was demolished in 2000. Brick veneer was added in 1964, and the building was renovated in 1975-76. It remains in use today, and is prominently located at the front of the campus on Leflore Circle.
Mississippi Department of Archives & History, Historic Resources Inventory. "Whitfield Gymnasium." Retrieved from http://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/prop.aspx?view=architectural
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on March 9, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE