WPA Canal-Filling, TrentonPhoto from "The Dawn," a New Jersey WPA publication; September 1936 issue, page 15.
The federal Works Progress Administration filled in the old Delaware & Raritan Canal, which ran through downtown Trenton, New Jersey, beginning August 8, 1936. The unused canal had proved to be a barrier to the city’s development. The land was then redeveloped into State Route 129.
"The Dawn," a New Jersey WPA publication; September 1936 issue, page 15. Found at the Jersey City Public Library's New Jersey Room.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 11, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE