The Bureau of Public Roads provided funds for the construction of an underpass carrying Deans Lane under the railroad in South Brunswick Township. The project was undertaken as part of a larger grade crossing elimination initiative during that era.
New Jersey Board of Public Utility Commissioners: “A “Works Program-State Highway Department” project on which the Board initiated proceedings and on December 4th, 1935, issued an order to eliminate the crossings. This, order was later modified on June 29, 1937, to eliminate the Deans Road crossing on its present alignment. Contract for construction of the project was let by the State Highway Department on August 4, 1937. … Funds from the Bureau of Public Roads were allotted to meet the entire cost of construction. The State and the Railroad Company share equally the costs of property acquired for the project.”
New Jersey Board of Public Utility Commissioners, 1937 Report (pg. 71): http://dspace.njstatelib.org:8080/xmlui/bitstream/handle/10929/33076/1937.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y (accessed Mar. 2018)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 26, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE