Davie Tennis Stadium - Oakland CA
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) developed the Davie Tennis Stadium in 1936-37 with an allocation of $65,000. WPA relief workers built five tennis courts, with lights for night play and bleachers for viewing, plus a community center in rustic style that has a WPA plaque in front. Low stone walls circle the courts and run around the short entrance road; stone pillars flank the park gate.
The park opened to the public on September 1, 1937.
The park lies within the city limits of Piedmont CA, itself entirely within the city limits of Oakland! Piedmont residents opposed the park but Oakland built it anyway. The Piedmont city council did succeed in preventing nighttime play for a time.
The site is an old quarry at the head of Lakeshore Avenue that was donated to the city of Oakland by former Mayor John Davie. The city also condemned and purchased four adjoining lots to expand the park area.
"WPA funds for park project: Improvement of Domoto site, Davie Stadium, among six new projects for city," Oakland Post-Enterprise, December 12, 1935.
"Oakland park to be built as a WPA job," San Francisco Chronicle, December 12, 1935.
"Davie stadium to open tomorrow," Oakland Tribune, August 31, 1937, p. 10.
"Night play banned at new Davie tennis stadium," Oakland Tribune, September 15, 1937, p. 17.
Project originally submitted by Joan Greer on July 4, 2020.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE