This distinctive stone stadium was built by the WPA in 1939. A 1999 document from the Cherokee Strip Museum describes the stadium’s origins:
“This year we are celebrating the 60″ anniversary of Perry Stadium, the home of Daniels Field. Men of the federal Works Project Administration (WPA) at an estimated cost of $100,000 built the sandstone structure in 1939. To those too young to remember, the WPA was an agency conceived by President Franklin D. Roosevelt to help overcome the Great Depression. Originally the stadium included a baseball field as well as the football gridiron, but old age caught up with the Baseball Park years ago when some of the walls began crumbling, and that part of the stadium was converted to a football practice field.” (https://www.cherokee-strip-museum.org)
The Oklahoman: Sep 25, 1938. https://www.cherokee-strip-museum.org/Beers/Beers-19990827.htm https://www.panoramio.com/photo/64836687 https://www.flickr.com/photos/sethgaines/8359574350/
Project originally submitted by Susan Kline on June 29, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE