Dalecarlia Water Treatment Plant
In 1942, the Federal Works Agency (FWA) paid for the installation of a ten-million-gallon-daily pump to improve the performance of the Dalecarlia Pumping Station. The pump project cost about $16,200 . The work was most likely done by the Army Corps of Engineers, which had previously upgraded the Dalecarlia reservoir and pumping station.
Later that year, the Washington Post reported approval of funding for “… more than 2 ½ miles of 54 inch water main for filtered water from the Dalecarlia Pumping Station to a connection with the gravity system near the south end of the Georgetown Reservoir and approximately ¼ mile of 36 inch ‘blow off’ main in addition. This project also includes installation of three low-lift pumps at Dalecarlia with a total capacity of 120,000,000 gallons daily” (Post, October 15, 1942). A further contribution of funds by the Public Works Administration (PWA) was also reported for a gravity main at the site (Washington Post, November 14, 1942).
Nevertheless, it appears that the later work was held up by the War Production Board as the country enter World War II and was never carried out.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
"Health project fund formula reported near," Evening Star, January 26, 1943, p. B-1.
“$2,135,250 District works fund approved,” Washington Post, January 27, 1942, p. 15
"Aid projects worth 16 millions now under way in D.C. area," Evening Star, July 18, 1943, p. A-2.
“Lanham Act projects are approved,” Washington Post, October 15, 1942, p. B1
“PWA aid accepted on 7 projects in District to cost 3 millions,” Washington Post, November 14, 1942, p. B1
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on March 1, 2015.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE