The voters of the City of Cuero passed a bond election for $16,000 to buy 210 acres of land in the mid 1930s. Some of the land was used for residential and commercial development, but the majority was used for a municipal park. The Works Progress (WPA) Administration built a lake, golf course, clubhouse, swimming pool, entrance portals and a baseball stadium between 1935 and 1937. Most material for development was furnished by the government with the city paying another $8,000 for some tools and supplies.
The National Youth Administration (NYA) built a large shop, dormitories and other facilities for the workers at the site. When the park was complete, the buildings became city property.
Plaques on clubhouse and light standard Prause, Ben. "Municipal Park Pride of Cuero." The Victoria Advocate 24 May 1964: p3. http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=861&dat=19640524&id=e81NAAAAIBAJ&sjid=3koDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5754,2865634&hl=en
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on April 5, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE