Crotona Park, Indian Pond and Boathouse
“Indian Pond and boathouse at Crotona Park, June 2014. The boat house was  built by the WPA as part of the massive reconstruction of Crotona that was completed in 1941. The pond is covered with algae and choked with vegetation; it was restored in 2009 but then there was a problem with pond scum that has not yet been addressed… According to the Parks Department, the boathouse rented boats until the the 1970s. In 1984 it was briefly a nature center for Urban Park Rangers, and as of 2001, it’s a nature center again.” (https://www.kermitproject.org)
https://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/crotonapark/history https://www.kermitproject.org/bronx/newdeal/hacp100.html Department of Parks Press Releases, 1934-1941
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on July 8, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE