The Crossett Experimental Forest is located about 11 km south of the town of Crossett in Ashley County, Arkansas.
The Federal Emergency Relief Administration began the project in 1933 with “13 miles of pick-and-shovel-built FERA roads” (Reynolds). Firelines were built by the Works Progress Administration that are still in use today (Bragg & Gulden, 2009). Unspecified buildings were constructed in 1935 and 1936 by the WPA. The Civilian Conservation Corps built three buildings in 1939 and 1940.
“Forest Service researchers associated with the Crossett have published more than 1,000 articles on forest management and silviculture. More than 45,000 foresters, students, landowners, and university staff have visited the Experimental Forest and benefited from its research.
Currently, the forest is managed by the Southern Research Station’s unit in Monticello, Arkansas, and is affiliated administratively with the Jessieville and Winona Ranger District of the Ouachita National Forest.” (http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov)
Bragg, D. C., & Guldin, J. M. (2009). Crossett Experimental Forest. Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture. Retrieved from http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=4317. Reynolds, R. R. (n. d.). The Crossett Story: The Beginning of Forestry in Southern Arkansas and Northern Louisiana. Forest History Society. Retrieved from http://www.foresthistory.org/ASPNET/Publications/region/8/crossett/sec1.htm. http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/4159/forests/crossett.html
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on January 22, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE