Crocheron Park Field House
NYC Parks explains that, “By 1936, the City had turned the area into a park with picnic grounds, winding walks, an enlarged lake for wintertime skating, and thousands of trees.”
On April 3, 1937, the Department of Parks announced the completion of a new building in Crocheron Park containing a “a comfort station, a large lounge, locker rooms and shower baths.”
Although these sources do not mention the WPA or other New Deal agencies, researcher Frank da Cruz explains here that almost all New York City Parks Department projects between 1934 and 1943 were carried out with New Deal funds and/or labor, and that after April 1935, the WPA quickly became the main source of this support.
Department of Parks, Press Release, April 3, 1937 NYC Parks - Crocheron Park New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on October 21, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE