NYC Parks explains that, “By 1936, the City had turned the area into a park with picnic grounds, winding walks, an enlarged lake for wintertime skating, and thousands of trees.” What is now known as the Buz O’Rourke Playground in Crocheron Park was completed in June 1936, and a field house at 33rd Rd. and 215th Pl. was completed on April 3, 1937. A couple of weeks later, Parks announced that: “Crocheron Park has been completely redesigned and reconstructed. The entire 44 acres have been regraded and landscaped. New walks, benches, drainage and irrigation systems have been installed.”
Although these sources do not mention the WPA or other New Deal agencies, researcher Frank da Cruz explains here that almost all New York City Parks Department projects between 1934 and 1943 were carried out with New Deal funds and/or labor, and that after April 1935, the WPA quickly became the main source of this support.
Department of Parks, Press Release, April 17, 1937 NYC Parks - Crocheron Park New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on October 22, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE