Public Works Administration, project W1208, constructed a two-story Art Deco style jail for the courthouse. A grant of $13,939 was approved toward the total cost of $30,977 6/22/1938. Contract was awarded 9/13/1938 and construction begun 9/22/1938. Architects were Krouse & Brasfield and builder was Currie & Corley. Construction was completed 1/19/1939. The jail and courthouse were destroyed in 1975.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
Report No. 5, Status of Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, Region No. 3, Mississippi. (January 3, 1940). Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division, p. 105.
Mississippi Department of Archives & History, Historic Resources Inventory. Old Jasper County Jail. Retrieved August 2019 from www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/prop.aspx?view=architectural
Hinds school work among PWA projects given okeh. (June 25, 1938). Clarion-Ledger, p. 1.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on August 10, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE