Delaware utilized substantial federal resources in developing and improving its road network during the Great Depression. Among the dozens of projects undertaken by the federal Civil Works Administration (C.W.A.) during 1934 was construction of balustrades at the Court Street bridge, east of the Capitol building in Dover. The street has since been renamed for Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and the status of the structures is presently unknown to Living New Deal.
An average of 1,410 were put to work each week during 1934 as a result of the CWA’s road, sidewalk, bridge, and other related infrastructure efforts in Delaware.
Annual Report of the Chief Engineer State Highway Department, 1934 (pg. 43-53): http://www.deldot.gov/archaeology/historic_pres/annual_reports/pdf/1934/annual_1934_chief.pdf
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on June 7, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE