What is now Palace Apartments started out as Williamson Mill (a cotton mill)—built in 1902. Sometime after that it was bought and plans were made to convert the building into a county multi-use building (basketball, boxing, tennis, indoor track, concerts, dances, etc.). WPA work included removing the upper part of the building, new roof installation, and upgraded utilities. The WPA spent $250,000 dollars on the project, which is about $4 million in 2013 dollars, so the conversion work must have been extensive. In later years, the county building became a popular venue for professional wrestling.
(1) National Archives and Records Administration, Records of the Work Projects Administration, Information Service, Primary File, 1936-42, Box 6, Folder 211-A. (2) “County Hall Here To Open March 29,” Charleston News & Courier, March 16, 1941. (3) “County Hall was wrestling mecca,” The Post and Courier, June 26, 2011, http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20110626/PC1203/306269955, accessed June 25, 2014.
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on August 11, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE