Cottonwood Civic Center
“The Cottonwood Civic Center was partially funded by the Works Progress Administration and completed in 1939. Local citizens raised the matching funds through bake sales and other grassroots fundraising efforts. The building was designed by Lescher and Mahoney, an architectural firm from Phoenix. The building is sheathed in river cobble and red sandstone. Wrought-iron hinges on the armory-style doors contribute to its sturdy, fortress-like appearance. During WWII the building was rented to the Defense Department to house members of the Navy.”
"The New Deal in Arizona: Connections to Our Historic Landscape," University of Arizona, The New Deal in Arizona Chapter of the National New Deal Preservation Association.
The above quote and photos can be found at: http://content.library.arizona.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/NewDeal/id/211
National Archives, RG 69 Records of the Work Projects Administration, “Information Service (Primary) File, 1936-1942.”
Project originally submitted by The Living New Deal on August 13, 2012.
Additional contributions by Hans Johnson.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE