“Coronado Heights is a hill northwest of Lindsborg, Kansas. It is alleged to be near the place where Francisco Vasquez de Coronado gave up his search for the seven cities of gold and turned around to return to Mexico.
In 1915 a professor at Bethany College in Lindsborg, found chain mail from Spanish armor at an Indian village excavation site a few miles southwest of present Coronado Heights and another Bethany College professor promoted the name of Coronado Heights for the hill. In 1936, a stone shelter resembling a castle was built on top of the hill as a project of the Works Progress Administration.
The hill is now Coronado Heights Park, owned by the Smoky Valley Historical Association. The view at the top of the hill is spectacular and people on the top can see for miles. In the Spring and Summer there are wildflowers in bloom on the hill. Many visitors have carved their names or initials in the soft Dakota Formation sandstone at the summit.”
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE