The federal Work Projects Administration worked to improve the grounds of the Veterinary College of Cornell University in Ithaca, New York during the 1930s. The school was then located at “its original site at the southeast corner of East Avenue and Tower Road until 1957, when it moved to its present site at the east end of Tower Road.” (Cornell).
One project, which cost $17,266 (of which the WPA contributed $9,937) was described by the WPA in its project rolls:
“[G]rading and seeding; constructing walks, drives, parking areas, walls, curbs, fences, and storm sewers; and performing appurtenant and incidental work including removing old walks and old buildings.” The project also included “operation of the quarries in or near the city for the production of material to be used on this project.”
WPA Official Project No. 665-21-2-514.
National Archives; Record Group 69: Records of the Work Projects Administration; Records of the Project Control Division; microfilm publication T936; roll 9. http://www.vet.cornell.edu/about/history.cfm
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on August 16, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE