Corlears Hook Park amphitheater
The CWA constructed this park at Corlears Hook. From a 1934 New York City Parks Department press release: “Facilities: An open shelter is to be erected. There are four handball, four horse-shoe pitching, one volley ball, two basketball and shuffle board courts. This area, which adjoins a lodging house with accommodation for 1800 men, has been planned to provide recreation for the unusually large number of men residing in this particular district.” The amphitheater, known as the East River Amphitheater, was built in 1941. At least one of the playgrounds was replaced in 1969.
New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43, compiled by Frank da Cruz NYC Parks Department press release, September 30, 1969 Open Green Map
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz, Gray Brechin on May 25, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE