Community House and Library - Coral Gables FLNational Archives, Record Group 69-N.
The Works Progress Administration built a community house and library in Coral Gables, Florida. The building now serves as the Coral Gables Woman’s Club.
“During the Great Depression, the national Works Projects Administration operated projects in cooperation with state and local governments throughout the country. Of the 17 projects approved for Coral Gables, a library and community building built on land donated by the City was completed in 1937. The coral rock building at 1001 East Ponce de Leon Boulevard was the Library’s location for more than 30 years. The building also housed the Woman’s Club which operated the Library until 1953 when the City took over its management. The building was deeded to the Woman’s Club by the City in 1950 and is still in use by that organization today.” (http://www.citybeautiful.net)
National Archives, Record Group 69-N: Records of the Work Projects Administration, “Information Service (Primary) File, 1936-1942.”
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on November 15, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE