Passageway C8, 2009Reproduction Number: HABS NY-6086-J-2
The Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) describes the New Deal’s extensive work on Ellis Island, which included building this and another long covered passageway:
“The one-story brick passageways on the west side of Islands 2 and 3 are now designated C8. A system of covered passageways connected the three islands, providing sheltered circulation during inclement weather. Pipes and electrical conduits were also located above the ceiling or in a side service passage. The two curving sections at the northwest side of Island 2 were first built around 1900, connecting the Hospital outbuilding (HABS NY-6086-K). The rest of this long corridor travels along the entire west side of Islands 2 and 3 and was built in 1934-35 with Works Progress Administration (WPA) funding. The current brick structure replaced a wood walkway built by the U.S. Army in 1918-19. This passageway provides access to the recreation building on Island 3 and then connects to the Contagious Disease Hospital Passageway (C9) at the southwest corner of the island. In addition to the rebuilt and expanded brick passageways, the Recreation Building, New Immigration Building, and Ferry Building were the three New Deal-funded structures at Ellis Island intended to meet the changing scope of immigration services at the facility.”
Ellis Island was made part of the Statue of Liberty National Monument in 1965. The passageway is still standing, though in some disrepair.
Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Online Catalog, Ellis Island, Passageway C8 C.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown. "Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration." (1939). Historic Ellis Island structure reopening - USA Today
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE