Cooper Spur Trail Shelter
As recorded in a discussion of the Mount Hood National Forest in the US Forest Service publication The Forest Service and the Civilian Conservation Corps: 1933-1942:
“The Cooper Spur Trail Shelter was one of several shelters built by the CCC along the Timberline Trail. It was probably built by the Cooper Spur Camp, a side camp of Camp Wyeth at Cascade Locks. The native stone shclter is located on the Hood River Ranger District, about 1 mile south of theCloud Cap Inn and 50 yards from the intersection of the Timberline Trail and Trail 600-A.
The 12 x 12-foot shelter was built in 1934, and has been altered, but it is in excellent, usable condition. It has a more recent flat aluminum roof.”
The stone hut contains a fireplace with chimney allowing a couple of people to shelter in a storm.
"Chapter 14: Mt Hood National Forest," The Forest Service and the Civilian Conservation Corps: 1933-1942. https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_books/ccc/ccc/chap14.htm (Viewed October 1, 2021).
Horn, Jon. Cultural resource inventory form, no. 664EA5, Mount Hood National Forest. August 8, 1978: p.1. Located at: Forest Suprevisor's Office, Mount Hood National Forest, Gresham, OR.
Oregon Hikers Website (Viewed October 1, 2021): Cooper Spur Shelter - Hiking in Portland, Oregon and Washington (oregonhikers.org)
Project originally submitted by Judith T Kenny on October 1, 2021.
Additional contributions by Claire Carder.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE