Coolidge Unified School District building - Coolidge AZ
The Public Works Administration (PWA) helped fund the former Coolidge Union High School, now the school district administration building. Ground was broken on April 4, 1936 and the school opened in 1939. The project cost of $150,000 was divided between a PWA grant and local bonds.
This large and handsome building is a melange of Neoclassical and Southwest Pueblo styles. It is still probably the largest and the most elegant building in the city of Coolidge. Ironically, the town, founded in 1925, was named after President Calvin Coolidge; it was not incorporated until 1945.
The plaque by the front entrance indicates that the building became the “H.L. McCray Jr. High School” in 1991. It gives a date of 1936 but no mention of the PWA.
The date at which it became the school district administration building is unknown to the Living New Deal.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
Coolidge Examiner, April 3,1936, p. 1
Coolidge Examiner, July 3,1936, p. 1
Coolidge Examiner, October 20, 1936, p. 1
Coolidge Union School District entry on Wikipedia
Project originally submitted by Joan Greer on November 10, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE