Continental Army Plaza, Brooklyn, NY
Continental Army Plaza was built by the New York City Department of Public Works in 1903. In 1936, Works Progress Administration (WPA) funds – and presumably workers – were used to renovate the plaza in order to improve access to the Washington monument, repair the stone balustrade, and install street lighting. It looks to us like they also added chessboards and benches, as well. In 1938 the plaza and monument were transferred to the custody of the Department of Parks. The department did a renovation of the park in 1997.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on April 15, 2014.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE